All Nintex forms should either allow end users to enter a meaningful title or create a meaningful title for them. The Title field is important as it is the primary identifier for each form entry as displayed on the list views and is what is displayed in search as well.
If you just hide the Title field from the form, the title field will be autopopulated with the value ‘No Title’. This neither looks good on list views nor will it be helpful if every submitted form has the same title when trying to search.
You could just leave the Title field on your form and allow the end users to enter a title. The problem with that is for most forms it’s not self evident to the people creating the form what they should enter for a title. Instead what usually works best is creating a unique meaningful title for them using a Calculated Value (Calculated Value’s cannot be changed by the end user while Default Values can).
Creating a unique Title for a Form
In this example we are going to be combining the name of the person who is submitting the form with the date selected in a date field to create a unique title:
Example: Nick Hurst request for: 1/1/2016
1. First we are going to replace the title text field with a Calculated value. To do this click on the Title field and hit delete.
2. Click on the Calculated value form control and drag it over to the Title area.
3. Resize the control so it takes up the entire Title area.
4. If you notice, the calculated value doesn’t have the gray background nor is the text in the middle of the field like the other fields. To fix this, click on another field in the form (like the people picker field in this example) and then click on the ‘Format Painter’ option in the ribbon.
5. This selects the format from that field, now click on calculated value field and you should see the gray background appear and the text should now appear in the middle of the field (vertically).
6. Double click on the Calculated Value field to open it’s properties. Enter a Name (prefix the word ‘Form’ to the field, so FormTitle in this example), click on the dropdown next to Connected to and choose the Title field. Finally review the new mode and edit mode settings. If you plan to use a current value like ‘current user’ or ‘current date’ you would probably only want this value to recalculate on new mode (So that way the title doesn’t change if someone edits the form). If you are using selected values from fields on the form, you would want to leave it to recalculate for both new and edit mode.
7. Now it’s time to build your formula. Click on the formula builder icon to the left of the Formula field. In this example we are going to use the values from the ‘Date’ and the ‘PeoplePicker’ fields on this form. Please note that ‘Date’ and ‘PeoplePicker’ are the actual field names on this example form. Make sure to use a + to combine values of 2 or more fields, you can also use quotes to add static text like ” Request for: “. When finished click OK at the bottom of the Formula Builder.
Sample: PeoplePicker +” Request for: “+Date
8. Click on the Save button to save your changes to the Calculated value control.
9. Click on the preview option in the ribbon, once you pick a person and a date you will see the those values entered into the title. By default the people picker field returns your full login name the date field returns the date, time and timezone. You can filter these values using runtime functions in the calculated formula as seen in step 10.
10. Double click on the Title field again, and click on the formulat builder icon. We will now use two Runtime functions (userProfileLookup and formatDate) to format both the people picker information and the date field to only return the users name and short date for the title. Please see the user profile article or the date formatting article for more details. Your finished formula should look something like the sample below.
Sample: userProfileLookup(PeoplePicker, ‘PreferredName’) +” Request for: “+ formatDate(Date, ‘MM/dd/yyyy’)
11. Now if you preview the form and enter a person into the people picker and a date into the date field, you have a short meaningful title for the item.